Sunday, September 14, 2008

Media Literacy Education, Yes Please and Thank You- An addendum

So..sometimes when I read things I think I interpret them in an incorrect way (is there really a way to correctly think). It turns out I have a knack for interpreting most of what I read in an entirely different way than intended. This often gets me into trouble. It's also why I'm terrible at math. However, I also feel it's why potentially I'm a decent writer, and even better at "reading" literature and art of all types. At least I like to think this "alternativeness" of mine affords me this strength. Luckily the whole idea around media studies is interpreting and expressing things in one's own light. Right? Or have I done it again?

I'm currently taking a class on teaching media literacy. This blog is my representation and reflection of the coursework for the class. This class mainly discusses the importance of incorporating new literacies, in alternative ways, into and among student curriculum. This course is entirely online and is my second online class experience in my academic career. I'm new to online classes and I'm terrible at them (getting better), but I'm trying and I'm learning (the point right). Speaking of educational alternatives. Online classes. Excellent. Then you mix online with media studies and you can see how I may have screwed up, right? When it comes to interpreting what is assigned, in this class I think I have "pulled an Erin," if you will, and incorrectly understood what the hell was going on. :)

So..let me bend your ear for a bit on what I now think I'm supposed to do. Aren't you lucky? Take two:

For class we were asked to watch a few political videos (excellent), and discuss their implications and what have you. Battlefield Minnesota was a fantastic film in which the creators interviewed major politicians in Minnesota. The message: become politically educated and get out there and vote (gosh darn it). The film was completely appealing (at least it should be to anyone as the message is important), mostly because of it's excellent, authentic hip-hop accompanied by pertinent information. However, the real seller for me was Walter Mondale playing d.j. Seriously. How could you pass that up? Also, seeing any politician willing to bling it up for a good cause is worth paying attention to. See..now you have to watch it right? http://www.mediathatmattersfest.org/mtm05/ This film was so creative in style and content, but it also hit right home and made a taboo topic personable. Also, no bias here. We get all pieces of the political pie here. Better than Fox.. This film is aimed at youth in society, the political education of, and necessity of their action.

I love it. I could not agree more. The message is undeniably important and necessary. The fact that the creator of this film went onto the streets and reached out to local youth is incredibly empowering. This guy brings with him an actual voting booth asking two young ladies, "do you know how to use one of these?" With shaking heads, he begins to educate them on a poll booth and the importance of voting. These are future voters ladies and gentlemen. Not gonna lie, the first time I was legal to vote I walked into a booth, closed the curtain and thought to myself "Wow, this is kind of intimidating, everything all official and serious and all...what if I screw up ( 'cause I do that sometimes)...I'd like to think this vote has a positive impact on the next four years of life..." and a load of other things. I'm just saying, the education of the physical act of voting associated with the knowledge and understanding of what you are voting for is invaluable and remarkably powerful. You can't go wrong. It's personal empowerment for all individuals.

The second film, News is What we Make It, was awesome. Think politics meets Wallace and Gromit. Not for everyone I know, but at least Wallace and Gromit is. Ha. Sorry, terrible little joke there. Honestly though, the film had an important message and it was conveyed in a creative manner. This film discusses media conglomeration and how news is; I mean can be, misrepresented. In short this film portrays a young adult female with terrible clay hair, interviewed by a local reporter with a terrible clay mustache, about her personal views on a school-wide issue. The reporter airs her interview, but edits her words so that her personal view had dramatically changed, and was falsely represented. This young clay-lady demands a retraction and she is denied. She then goes to another station to ask for an expose (accent there on the 'e'-I don't know how to do that, my apologies), and is also denied. After learning about the ugliness of media conglomerates, she decides to take matter into her own hands. Yes! She concocts a plan to draw media attention to her school and then steal the spotlight to get her message out. A little bait and switch, if you will. It's a fun and entertaining film, yet it battles a huge issue. Should we believe what we see on T.V., or take it with a grain of salt? I always preferred sweet things to salty, myself. Also, is the "news" we are receiving accurate?

Point in case-this summer I was caught on campus by an amusing and entertaining reporter from Channel 4. I was interviewed about my water consumption. I told him and his camera buddy how much water I drank on a daily basis. I was then asked questions on my "water knowledge." Yes, the history, theory and importance of water consumption my friends. It was riveting. Anyhow, we three had a nice little chat and a few giggles about water and he then moved on to interview others about the same. A few weeks later I caught my television debut on the web (ha ha-news on the internet). Much to my dismay-I exclaimed to the entirety of Minneapolis and surrounding areas that I pee a lot. Yes, I said it. This is of course due to my incredible water consumption people. Um...thanks guy from Channel 4. (Please excuse me for not posting the link to my awesome interview). Although I had admitted to drinking copious amounts of water and then, mind you, was asked whether or not I frequented the restroom, they had edited out much of what I had been interview about. Apparently my knowledge of water was less impressive than my trips to the bathroom. Great. However, this is a prime example of how news and media can and will be distorted..at my expense nonetheless.

Some things to think about yeah? How about on your next trip to the restroom?

2 comments:

Sarah D. said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. Especially the part about your interview on Channel 4. (-It really sounds like something that would have happened to me.)

I didn't post a comment when I first read it, because I figured my random comments must be getting annoying by now (-assuming that you may not have been getting notifications of all of them (there weren't THAT many, but still. They were on a couple different ones, not always recent, such as this one)), but I decided I couldn't help myself after I (and everyone else) watched you do the potty-dance for about a half and hour, today. Hahaha. That was hilarious (don't feel embarrassed, if you do. Haha). And, basically, it reminded me of this blog.

--Also, as a complete sidenote. You asked me and E (-Elise, I call her E) if there was anything you could do to "make our day". The only thing I can think of that would 'make my day', that you could do, I suppose would be just keep doing what you're doing. You're a fun teacher, and everyone obviously loves you. Just keep at it. Keep up the jokes, keep up the humor, and the fun, and, just keep trying to get to know us.

I know it's tough being a teacher sometimes. -With kids talking out of turn, and being noisy and stupid, and blaming everyone else for the shit they do. I see it everyday, I get it. Trust me. And it's unfortunate that it happens, probably more often than it should, and I feel bad, sometimes, when that happens and teachers get angry, or frustrated, or sad. (Like yesterday, in 4th hour.)

But that doesn't mean the fun should come to an end, for anyone, as you probably already know. You just gotta stick it out sometimes, and move along. Or, my favorite method for idiots who act up, is just to make fun of them, in any way possible. So at least then you can somewhat deal with them in a way that will make them look stupid, and help you blow off some steam (in a funny/creative way), and possibly spark a laugh or two.

-That's just another one of my ranted opinions. Who knows, if chances are that you don't get a notification of this (I only bring that up because I commented on one of my friend's blogs and they had no idea I commented on it until they happened to check the blog itself), you may end up reading this next week/month/year(?), maybe.

But, right now, that's what you can do to make my day. -Just pretty much be you, and all will be good. :)

-Oh, and post some more funny blogs. Those are always fun to read; and make occassional sucky days not seem quite as sucky. If you get what I mean.

Peace.

Sarah D. said...

So, because we all know I'm a jerk (and because you probably won't even know I posted this), I'd just like to post this link for shits and giggles: http://wcco.com/video/?id=45281@wcco.dayport.com

I stumbled (or, not really) upon this a long time ago when I was procrastinating on homework (as always). And I had to laugh at the amusing comment that one crazy chick had to say. ;)

P.S. If you time it right, it sounds even funnier if you just repeat the one part over and over again.

Peace.